At the start of 2022, under half a million full-time employment (428,059) are supported by the US cannabis business, a 33% rise from 2021. As we continue to see the industry grow, hiring strategies for the cannabis industry can be somewhat different from those in other industries due to the unique nature of the industry and the specific skills and experience that are often required. Here are a few potential strategies to consider when hiring for a cannabis business:
- Focus on specific skill sets: Depending on the role you are hiring for, you may need to prioritize certain skills or experience. For example, if you are hiring a grower, you may want to look for candidates with a background in horticulture or agriculture. Similarly, if you are hiring for a retail position, you may want to prioritize customer service experience.
- Network within the industry: The cannabis industry is still relatively new and can be tight-knit, so networking within the industry can be a good way to find qualified candidates. Consider attending industry events and conferences, or reaching out to other businesses in the industry to see if they know of any qualified candidates.
- Use targeted job postings: When advertising job openings, be specific about the skills and experience you are looking for. This will help attract qualified candidates and reduce the number of unqualified applicants.
- Internship Programs: Consider offering internship programs to give students and recent graduates the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the cannabis industry. This can be a great way to identify and recruit talented individuals who are just starting their careers.
- Offer training and development opportunities: Many people who are interested in working in the cannabis industry may not have specific experience or skills in the field. Consider offering training and development opportunities to help new hires get up to speed and grow their careers within your organization.
By following these strategies, you can help ensure that you are hiring qualified, motivated, and diverse candidates for your cannabis business.
If you are having trouble finding the right candidates, consider using a recruiting firm. Whether you’re an established cannabis company or a budding start-up, put your trust in a cannabis recruiting firm that offers tried-and-true hiring and HR consulting tactics that fit your company’s needs. Learn more about how High Bluff Group can help you achieve your hiring goals.